The form was designed to provide the IRS with all the information needed to verify the identity of the taxpaying non-citizen and to have current contact information on file with the IRS. Many ITIN applicants wonder where to send W-7 form information when it is completed. The answer to that question and many more can be found on the W-7 form instructions page here on the site.
- You do not have a SSN, and are not eligible to obtain one
2. You are one of the following
- You are a nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return with the IRS
- U.S. resident alien who is filing a U.S. tax return with the IRS
- Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/ resident alien
- Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien Visa holder
All Form W-7 ITIN applications MUST be accompanied by the following documentation:
- Original, valid U.S. Federal income tax return
- The letter of denial from the SSA (if applicable)
- Physical/Original documents OR copies of documents certified by the issuing agency* that show identifying information that matches the personal information provided on Form W-7, and shows your connection to a foreign country (“foreign status”). The documents must not be expired.
Identification documents accepted by the IRS are the following:
a. Passport – the only document you can submit without any other of the documents
Additional documents accepted by the IRS – used in combination to prove your identity AND foreign status
b. United State Citizenship and Immigration Services photo identification
c. Visa issued by the US Department of State
d. Foreign military identification card
e. Foreign voter’s registration card
f. United States driver’s license
g. United States military identification card
h.Foreign driver’s license
i. U.S. State identification card
j. National Identification card
For applications claimed as dependents
k. Civil birth certificate
l. School records (for dependents under 14, and student under 18)
Using your passport (either original or certified copy) is the most recommended, because using a passport, you do not need to submit any other documents from the list.
The original documents will be returned to the mailing address shown on Form W-7. It is not required to include a return envelope, but you are permitted to include a prepaid Express Mail or courier envelope for faster return of the documents.
To check the status of your W-7, you will need to call the IRS at the following phone number: 1-800-829-1040.